21st January 2017 - Coldest day for quite a while

This forum is for discussing and posting observations of short term weather events that have taken place within the last few days. It could include details of thunderstorms, snow, rainfall, hail, temperatures, etc. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there.
Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

21st January 2017 - Coldest day for quite a while

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:56 pm

I am fairly confident in thinking it is not going to get any warmer today.

The maximum temperature reached today was 4.2°C, this makes it the coldest day maximum since the 25th March 2013 (3.8°C).

After 3 days of cloudless skies and dazzling sunshine, today was overcast. No doubt contributing to the cold, raw feel of the day. Brrrrr! Spring anyone?
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Re: 21st January 2017 - Coldest day for quite a while

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:33 pm

A welcome change in air-mass!

Yesterday's continental raw cold air and grey skies have been replaced by lovely Atlantic air and sunshine. It is 6 degrees warmer than this time yesterday and with the DP over 7 degrees warmer, the southerly breeze felt pleasant and soft.

Today's maximum was 10.2C; dare I say it, almost spring-like. The evening's are getting noticably lighter now and the sun stronger, that cheers you up. And yet in the summer time when the evening's start getting darker, I never hear anybody be happy about that. Not long now.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Len Wood

Re: 21st January 2017 - Coldest day for quite a while

Post by Len Wood » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Max 4.8°C yesterday.
Max 9.4°C today.

Yesterday (21st) was my coldest day since 19th Jan 2015 when it only reached 4.4°C.
Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast

83 m amsl