16th & 17th July 2016 - High dewpoints & UV

This forum is for discussing and posting observations of short term weather events that have taken place within the last few days. It could include details of thunderstorms, snow, rainfall, hail, temperatures, etc. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there.
Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

16th & 17th July 2016 - High dewpoints & UV

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:31 pm

This weekend has been a humid one with long sunny intervals and despite a sea breeze, a warm one too.

Today the dewpoint reached 21°C and hovered around 19°C - 20°C for much of the afternoon and with a temperature of between 24°C and 26°C, it made for at times, a quite oppressive feeling day reminding me of my stays in the Med.

The sea breeze arrived at 11:30 with an abrupt shift in wind direction from NW to southerly and a small drop in temperature and humidity before these recovered and exceeded the previous values. The 'warm' off-shore sea surface temperatures out in Lyme Bay (peaking to 19°C to 20°C today) and even warmer closer to the shore mean that the sea breeze is becoming warm and humid in itself and no longer brings the fresher, cooler air it did in May and June.

This is quite typical of post mid-summer and by late-August and September the sea breeze can sometimes bring very humid air.

Also, very high UV levels for the last couple of days with 9.9 (16th) & 9.2 (17th).
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Re: 16th & 17th July 2016 - High dewpoints & UV

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Dewpoint reached 21.0°C here this afternoon and with an air temperature of 27.0°C at the same time it felt more like the humidity and heat of the Med than the pastoral south Devonshire coast. The dewpoint is a new record high for me beating the previous one of 20.9°C set on the 19th August 2012.

UV down on previous days' values despite the crystal clear, deep blue sky with an index value of 7.9.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Greg Gruner

Re: 16th & 17th July 2016 - High dewpoints & UV

Post by Greg Gruner » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Interestingly, my dewpoint jumped from 16C at 2000 (BST) to 20C at 2015 (the highest of the day). As the air temp changed little (27.1C to 26.8C) I don't think it was a sea breeze. However, the wind from the south increased slightly throughout the afternoon so humidity has probably been imported from air over the channel.