Exceptionally heavy rainfall in Hertfordshire on 16th Sept

This forum is for discussing and posting observations of short term weather events that have taken place within the last few days. It could include details of thunderstorms, snow, rainfall, hail, temperatures, etc. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there.
IM Scouller

Exceptionally heavy rainfall in Hertfordshire on 16th Sept

Post by IM Scouller » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:33 pm

Following the flooding on Friday you may be interested to know the rainfall recorded at my weather station in Brookmans Park. The total rainfall in the 24 hours to 10am on Friday 16th Sept was 55.5mm which was the wettest 'rainday' since my records commenced in 2001. The total rainfall in the storm from the early hours of Friday was 58.0mm, with the rain dying out around 11am. The previous highest rainfall recorded was 55.0mm on 30/05/07.

The rainfall on Friday morning was more than the total in the previous 2 months (21.9mm in Aug and 20.0mm in July). The Times on Sat 17th said the wettest place in the UK was Santon Downham at 55m in the 24hrs to 5pm on Friday. Therefore, it appears that Brookmans Park was actually the wettest place in the UK that day. I would be interested to know the rainfall recorded by other COL members in Herts that day.

The maximum temperature was high earlier in the week with 30.9c on Tues, 26.7c on Weds and 25.3c on Thurs.

On Saturday there was a dramatic change as the wind swung round to the North East and thick cloud meant the temperature only reached 14.4c, the coldest day since 3rd June (12.2c max).