Early June 2016 - Missing the Storms

This forum is for discussion of longer term weather trends, e.g. monthly or seasonal patterns, droughts, heatwaves, cold snaps, etc.
Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Early June 2016 - Missing the Storms

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:41 pm

After a dry May the drought continues and with the lawns browning nicely, we are desperate for drop of rain but despite thunder being heard inland, the usual coastal plain misses that there rain.

The only rain so far this month was in the form of a shower in the early hours on the 2nd with 0.9 mm but by the morning you would not have known it had happened.

Today (Wednesday 8th), even with the dry conditions the humidity is very high. This morning the temperature reached 24.2°C and with a dew point of 19.5°C and no wind, it felt stifling under a cloudless sky with the scorching June sun beating down. Then the 'Doctor' (a name I call our sea breeze) turned up and provided some relief; a glorious sea breeze blew in dropping the temperature and humidity down a little.

Looking at the forecasts, this week could be our summer with it all going downhill next week. Shame as I love this warmth (though a drop of rain would come in handy), and there's always the sea to throw yourself in if it gets too hot. Offshore SST at 1 metre deep reached 16.0°C this afternoon, not bad for early June.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Richard Hunt

Re: Early June 2016 - Missing the Storms

Post by Richard Hunt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:19 pm

Same here, missing all the rain, Sun and storms.

Only 2.3mm for the month so far up to 1800Z on the 9th.

Warmest day saw the mercury reach 20.2c. But it's been mainly overcast with a cold north-north easterly blowing off the sea for the last few weeks.

So no rain, no thunderstorms and no real warm sunny conditions.
COL Station: 25020

N 53°54'.185". W000°10'.235"

10m AMSL

Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Here in the Otter Valley near the south coast of Devon, we have finally managed to have a few storms. There were thunderstorms occurring on 3 consecutive days last week (15th, 16th & 17th), all occurring between 14:00 and 17:00 and dropping a rather large amount of rain, 66 mm in total.

We have gone from dust-dry, environmental drought conditions with my garden plants shrivelling up to everything being sodden. Interesting for such a high amount of rainfall in a relatively short space of time, that the River Otter has remained totally unaffected being at its very low level and crystal clear. The dry ground just soaked it all up.

And now the garden is catching up with everything growing madly. Such a welcome transformation!

Rainfall total for the month now stands at 69.0 mm which is well-above my estimated long-term average and makes this one of my wetter Junes. It has been a warm June though with both night and day temperatures above the average despite the poor sunshine levels.

1st - 19th June 2016
Mean minimum = 11.7°C
Mean maximum = 20.6°C
Mean = 16.2°C
Rain = 69.0 mm
Sunshine = 86.3 hours.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Len Wood