Change to Forum????

For members to make constructive suggestions about how COL may develop in the future, e.g. to retain and attract members, features in the bulletin, content of the website, etc.
Martin Rowley

Change to Forum????

Post by Martin Rowley » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:53 am

... What's going on!

I get an email out of the blue yesterday saying that the site url has changed, the site has changed, my log-in name has changed . . . and my password has changed! I can find no mention of plans to make these changes in print (Bulletin) or on the former [I assume it's the former] iteration of the Forum. Also, it appears that all trace of previous activity has disappeared: no sig file, no record of previous posts etc., etc.

If my bank had done this - my message to them would be considerable more robust that what's written above!

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset
Lat: 50deg 49.25'N, Long: 01deg 53.05'W
Height (amsl): 17 m (56 feet)
COL category: C1 overall/TRSHEUN=CC-A03-

Martin Rowley

Re: Change to Forum????

Post by Martin Rowley » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:30 am

... I've received this email (below/partial content) which might explain the problem . . .

" Sorry about the ‘shock’ – I have been registering users for the new forum and it has generated automated emails – I was not aware that this was going to happen. As Administrator, I decided to register all COL members myself to try to get more people involved with the new forum. The old forum still exists at http://www.uktrail.com/colchat/index.php and you may well still be able to get your posts from it and even log into it (using your old forum details) and submit. [ *My note . . . I can no longer log in to this site ]

The internal workings of the COL website have also been massively changed to enhance security and hopefully database connectivity, so I have being working on full time on in the last two months. The forum is now integrated into the website and can be accessed from the members menu once you are logged in. When members follow the link there, it will take them to a preliminary page which tells them their new forum username and password. This is generated by server-side scripting and is secure. "

I have advised that some sort of explanation be posted within the new Forum and contained in the next COL Bulletin.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset
Lat: 50deg 49.25'N, Long: 01deg 53.05'W
Height (amsl): 17 m (56 feet)
COL category: C1 overall/TRSHEUN=CC-A03-

John Wilson

Post by John Wilson » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Likewise, I was taken aback this morning, not having checked my emails for over a day. However, I do like the new format although it will take a bit of getting used to.
Good idea to contact all COL members. A few more may join in, and the change has inspired me to post a bit more often...
Keep up the good work.
Regards to all
John

Paul Swinhoe
Site Admin

Post by Paul Swinhoe » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:47 pm

I have emailed Roger Brugge asking him to let all members know about the changes to the main website and the forum. So I expect there will either be a section in the bulletin giving a brief explanation, or an email will go out.
Any problems with the website or forum contact me via the COL website

Paul Swinhoe
COL Webmaster