Snow??

This forum is for discussion of longer term weather trends, e.g. monthly or seasonal patterns, droughts, heatwaves, cold snaps, etc.
Greg Gruner

Snow??

Post by Greg Gruner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Looking at the latest charts, I am quite hopeful of some snow, even for southern England. I'm not expecting much from the northerly outbreak Thurs/Fri/Sat, not here in Farnborough anyway (will be a different story further north). Northerly winds are not good bringers of precipitation here, unless a low gets anchored in the southern North Sea.
It is beyond the weekend, around 17th/18th, that it looks more promising for the south. ECMWF charts for the 18th show a strong high over Scandinavia ridging towards the north of Scotland, and a low over southern France/northern Italy. With strong easterlies, and given the cold and snow cover right now over eastern Europe, I have some hopes of snow in the south...
Bring it on!

Len Wood

Re: Snow??

Post by Len Wood » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:33 pm

We are now half way through winter Greg, so there is still a chance of snow.
We had some sleet mixed in with the rain on Thursday.
I have a feeling that may be as near to snow as we get here on the SW Devon coast.
Nothing on the charts to indicate snow here in the next few days.
As regards long term weather patterns I am unconvinced.

Personally I am looking forward to Spring.
Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast

83 m amsl

Richard Hunt

Post by Richard Hunt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Yesterday (13th), saw overnight snowfall starting around 0300UTC, and leaving a light dusting by 0600UTC.

From 0700UTC the snow became heavy, and around 1inch thick in the space of half hour. By 0900UTC a quick thaw set in and nothing remained by noon.

I recorded 3·3mm in the gauge due to meltwater. Tmin was -0·5c, and a maximum of 4·0c.
COL Station: 25020

N 53°54'.185". W000°10'.235"

10m AMSL

Greg Gruner

Post by Greg Gruner » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:27 pm

I work in Godalming (Surrey) and it was snowing heaviliy when I left at 5pm on Thursday. However, where I live in Farnborough, it was just a dusting. Enough for "snow lying" on Friday but it soon melted.
Looks like cold and dry for the SE this week.