July - A Glorious Change in the Weather

This forum is for discussing and posting observations of short term weather events that have taken place within the last few days. It could include details of thunderstorms, snow, rainfall, hail, temperatures, etc. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there.
Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

July - A Glorious Change in the Weather

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:30 pm

What a welcome contrast the start of this month has been to the closing days of June and a definite bonus for the change to have happended at the weekend! No good wasting decent sunshine when you're at work.

Max Rain Sun
28th 16.7°C 26.4 mm 0.0 hours
29th 17.2°C 7.3 mm 0.0 hours
30th 18.4°C 4.2 mm 0.5 hours
1st 23.4°C 0.0 mm 10.5 hours
2nd 25.5°C 0.0 mm 12 hours (so far)

Yesterday and today have had practically unbroken sunshine from early/mid morning until sunset.

The sea has cooled off quite a bit after last week's unsettled weather with the near-shore SST dropping from highs of 19°C to 20°C (peaking at 22°C) down to 16.5°C over the last 7 days. It was very noticeable when having a swim this afternoon - wetsuit was nearly required.

The word 'contrast' sums up June 2017 nicely, it was a month of dry and wet; hot and cold; windy and calm. Unusual for a summer month, or maybe not.....
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Greg Gruner

Re: July - A Glorious Change in the Weather

Post by Greg Gruner » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Same change here at Farnborough, but I note that you had 25.5C today, whereas I only got to 22.4C. The wind, however, was generally from the NW, so maybe this stopped your sea breeze from developing and gave a higher maximum?

Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Re: July - A Glorious Change in the Weather

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Greg, I've just uploaded the data for yesterday and checked.

The sea breeze here always blows from the SSE or S and yesterday it tried but didn't quite make it.

Looking at the wind direction and speed, it was NW and generally between 3 and 10 mph but occasionally there would be a lull (0 to 2 mph) and the wind direction would briefly go SSE, the DP would rise as would the temperature. It was during one of these prolonged lulls that the temperature reached 25.5°C at 15:25.

So my only conclusion is that the sea breeze kept trying, especially earlier on in the day but never quite made it, making its presence felt by the occasional lulls and a flip-flop of wind direction from NW to SSE.

No lulls or sea breeze in evidence today (Monday), just a WNW to NW wind blowing at around 6 to 12 mph all day and a maximum of 23.4°C.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk